Wednesday 3 October 2007

Two Shorties...


I thought that being my first week I'd just add two short poems to this blog. My intention is to add one or two poems a week, however, this is rather more enjoyable than I previously anticipated, and seeing as it is my first week I am allowing myself one exception.

These two poems are both very short, but that does not mean they are lacking in content. The first is rather self-explanatory, and also semi-autobiographical. The simplicity of the poem, and the slight comedic tone I drew from my reading of Wendy Cope (if you enjoy this first poem, then check up on her poetry collection entitled 'Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis' [incidentally, if you haven't read any Kingsley Amis either, then I strongly advise his most famous novel - 'Lucky Jim' - which is slightly outdated, but still very funny]).

Phone Call

You’re tinny
And faint.
Eloquent without
Constraint.
But you’re gone,
A puff of smoke,
Disappearing
Like a joke
Told once
And forgotten.
Suddenly I
Hit the bottom.
I guess I shouldn’t
Ring your answering machine
Twelve times-
Between 8pm, and 8:15.


This second poem is rather more open to interpretation. The first stanza I will explain for anyone struggling, but the link to the second is tenuous, even when I explain it myself. Despite the difficulty in understanding, I have come to understand that people enjoy this poem more than any other I have written because of the sound and imagery, and I do, in fact, prefer not to explain the poem, I wish for each reader to develop their own interpretations and understandings - so that the poem might become more personal to them.

The title only relates to where this is written ABOUT, it was not written in southern Spain, nor did I write it any time near my holiday there. It is titled Southern Spain because it is where I began to understand that 'liking' a member of the opposite sex is never going to be simple, and that as soon as you admit that you have strong feelings for someone is when that love begins to become troublesome. The main reflection here is that someone can walk down a crowded street in the beautiful Andalucian city Granada, and see someone else that they find immediately so intoxicating that they cannot look anywhere but at that person, let alone think of anything else. This 'love' is the purest form of love (in my opinion) as it can never go wrong with arguments or infidelity, it is wonderful, unspoken, and more often that not, entirely unrequited. There is not even heartbreak, as the love experienced at that moment has disappeared after only a few hours, despite it's intensity!

Southern Spain

I was in love this
Morning:
But forgot by this
Afternoon.

I saw the Grace of God
Outshone - by the
Light of the
Moon.


The second stanza is up to you! I hope you enjoy.
RIWC

1 comment:

Owen Cook said...

Southern Spain....once my favorite, and still my favorite.

I love it.