Tuesday 23 October 2007

Writing...


I think for someone to write, be it as a pastime or as a profession, they must have two things: the ambition and the inspiration. I do not believe that one of these must precede the other, however; for if initially you have the ambition, then the inspiration will find you, and if you have the inspiration then the drive will certainly follow.

The real trouble occurs after you've achieved these two objectives (at least that is what I have experienced). What I often find, even after writing frequently, is that I struggle to determine where to begin: with writing poetry, there is so much versatility that someone could easily be plagued with too much choice in how to express their primary inspiration. I always intend to identify the tone I want my poem to possess, and I come to this by analysing my topic. For example, if I was to write a Romantic poem regarding nature, it would be an uplifting topic and therefore the choice of structure and language would need to reflect this. A typical example could be John Clare's famous Sonnet, where the strict structure, language and rhyme is representative of the calm, relaxed theme of the poem - concentrating on the careful selection of each word to convey his exact emotions.

Alternatively, many modern poets choose free verse, not restricted by syllable limits or rhyme schemes, it places more emphasis on the word choice and literary devices used - meaning that for certain poets who wish to capture a very simple thought or idea, free verse might be most appropriate.

The following poem is a simple one, it plays with imagery and has a nature oriented theme, although about what I don't think i'll say. At first I thought the poem was fairly obvious to interpret, but after many people gave me their own private ideas, I decided not to disclose my original thoughts as it seemed to detract from what they identified with the writing. The poem is primarily free verse, but structured by three line stanzas and a scheme of half rhymes at the end of each stanza. This left me free to play with words and literary devices (specifically enjambement) but still maintaining a form of structure keeping the poem simplistic and the imagery sharp.

That Which Is Most Blue

I’m in love
With that which is
Most blue.

That which above
Is a white balloon, and
A lie untrue.

That which is shoved
Each month by a new moon,
And has a life renewed

Each night. The glove
For the watery hand of
Rain, possessor of infinite virtue.

I’m in love
With that which is
Most blue.


If anyone would like to leave a comment regarding their interpretations/opinions of what they feel my poems are about, then they would be greatly appreciated. If you would wish to contact me regarding my writing then my e-mail address is listed on the left-hand side of this page.

RIWC

No comments: